Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Additional Assignment #5

Who is the real author????   John T. Spencer

First of all, I have to say that this guy knows his students! I love that he truly understands who they are and what they are going through. He is certainly one who is concerned with their learning, but is also concerned with buildning a lasting relationship with his students. I like how he refers to computers as "pencils." Although they can serve some of the same purposes, they are on two completely different levels. This really caught my attention when he was referring to his students using their "pencil" drawings and making them more life-like and giving them detail by smearing the graphite among other things. The entire time I was reading this post I was imagining the beautiful pictures we have that are created by pencil (real ones) conforming into the media we see that is created by computer now. Although these two mediums may be different, it still allows the student to create whatever they desire. I also like how he does not necessarily defend his students, but he knows why they react certain ways and he knows how to control the classroom. The blog on "He Just Likes the Class for the Pencils," stood out to me the most in this respect. This really pointed out the fact that, yes, computers are fun to learn with, but the reason a kid should like the class is not because of the new media we present, but rather the understanding relationship they have with the teacher and the content they learn. It all begins with "R-E-S-P-E-C-T"!

No comments:

Post a Comment